- Star sign: Capricorn. “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”
- Inspirations: Agatha Christie, Mary Shelley, Edgar Allan Poe, Ruth Rendell, J. M. Barrie…
- Favourite books: Impossible to narrow this down to a few, but I’ll try: The Brimstone Wedding by Barbara Vine (AKA Ruth Rendell), We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.
- Favourite film: Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks is the perfect comedy.
- Favourite car: A taxi with good shocks and a driver who knows how to get around New York traffic jams.
- Favourite food: Chocolate is my favorite, but I don’t think I can write without coffee. Last August there was an earthquake in New York. The center was in Virginia, but it was so big that buildings rocked all along the eastern seaboard. I was working and when everything started to sway my first instinct was that I’d simply had too much coffee.
- Favourite places: The Pantheon in Rome when rain pours in through the hole in the center of the dome, the garden at MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), the dance floor at El Corte in Nijmegen and the roof of my apartment building with a view of the Empire State Building.
- Favourite things: I usually prefer experiences over objects — travel, dancing, good wine... that being said, I really do love my orange Tango shoes.