Mardibooks is a new publishing model, originally set up by two academics and now developing as a group of like-minded writers. We are a self-fulfilling community with a competitive proposition offering added value for the writer and an aim to achieve prompt publication and powerful e-marketing. There are currently a stack of sites offering e-books and advice with editing and publishing services for large amounts of upfront cash and no promise of a result.
Mardibooks differs from this in recognising that talent and poverty are too often housemates and literature and the arts are often the poorer for this. Good projects cannot fly without financial support but Mardibooks will also invest time, belief and expertise in the quality of the unheard voices to help give wings to their projects.
We give time to our writers to help them develop their projects. Hours of planning, editing, structuring, supporting and developing, for which other publishers charge.
Why do we do this?
- The freedom and skills to develop, edit and publish our work; acquiring new skills means we are no longer slaves to the idiosyncrasies of publishers, literary agents and editors.
- We can remain focused on quality literature across a broad variety of genres without being driven by fleeting fashion.
- The setup costs and steep learning curve are not lost to others – instead, we develop our new found knowledge and skills and share, share, share.
- The excitement of creating something worthwhile, worthy, useful, using new technology and generally being a good soul – and seeking out other good souls to work with.
- Breaking into a closed shop is never easy and when your writing is not your day job, finding the time to chase others is always a struggle… some things are worth publishing even if they are likely to be less commercial – it’s not always about the money.
- The ability to provide platforms for writers and work experience for students who want to break into publishing or journalism.
What’s in it for us?
- We hope to create a writers’ collective that is truly global – utilising the power of the web combined with the local feel of writing groups so we can platform our work, mutually supporting each other locally and globally. Even after only one year our ebooks and hard copy texts became available via retailers and we are extending our reach across the web. Our writers come to us from the web as well as from local networks and our students also support us from across the world.
- We succeed because of heaps of excitement, goodwill and great ideas, but fundamentally because we are in earnest – where else can you find qualified people prepared to put in free hours to support writers get published and to help them with their publicity and managing their sales.
- Our presence is growing exponentially – we are writing a story.
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a team from varied backgrounds… share and learn.
- Develop your writing skills and take stylistic risks… grow.
- Have support all the way with your projects… from concept to fulfilment.
- Get published – in ebook or hard copy… contributing a share of the cost.
- Benefit from shared administration, software, legal and accounting costs.
- Share platform space… across the web and in retailers.
- Combined marketing – we have a brand… that gives us a voice… you can be part of this.
- Benefit from our combined knowledge, experience, skills and support.
- Mardibooks are not a vanity publisher… your work will have publishing kudos.
- You will get 60% royalties – really!
- What have you got to lose?
Xarina Akhtar describes her publishing joy:
Happy first birthday Mardibooks. Thank you for being created and long may you flourish throughout the many years to come.
My first point of call with Mardibooks has been through Belinda, who has helped me tremendously and allowed me to touch the dream of having one of my stories, nay two, in print.
She has been on hand to proof read, provide advice and encourage me every step of the way. From my sketchy idea, to the first read, the amendments and then onto the final print, support has always been on hand.
In between you have the excitement and apprehension of receiving your contract and seeing the first proof along with the artistry for the cover. That made it so real. Couple all this with receiving the first email letting you know when the book will be made available for sale, the bouncing off the walls with joy, the number of text messages and emails you will send to family and friends, along with advice on marketing yourself to ensure maximum exposure, Mardibooks has opened the door to writers who may otherwise have remained unknown.
As a new or fledgling author the whole business of getting anything into print can be very daunting, especially when coming up against big, faceless publishing houses, which may not care so much for the untapped talent that lands on their doorstep. Mardibooks made the process so much easier and a much more enjoyable experience.
–Xarina Akhtar, author: “Unexpected Tales From The Ends Of The Earth”